- Parking spaces available
- Bus stop available
- for any weather
- for children (all ages)
- free of charge / accessible at any time
St. Nicholas Church
Hochstr.3
59602 Rüthen
Telephone: 02952 970699-0
The building is a short, two-bay hall church with a short connecting bay to the square west tower. It was built in the third quarter of the 13th century with rubble stone. The one-bay choir with a 3/8 end dates from around 1300. The east vestry is marked 1700 and was later extended. The upper storey of the tower, crowned with a baroque spire, was added in 1712. The church has an oblique-angled floor plan. The central nave bays are almost square in shape. The eastern bay has cruciform pillars with half-columns and stylized foliate capitals. There are strong round pillars in the west and bundle pillars towards the tower hall. Bricked-up wall apses can be seen in the side aisles. The original vaults of the central nave were removed in 1833 and later replaced by groined vaults. In the side aisles, intercepted services support single-hipped pointed cap vaults. The walls in the nave are divided by round-arched windows, those in the tower by pointed-arched ones. The choir was fitted with single and two-part tracery windows. The columns on the early Gothic tower portal were renewed. The south doorway with a sprung gable and figure niche is marked 1712. On the north side of the tower, a spiral staircase protrudes outwards. The partly unused bundle pillars between the hall and tower indicate that a High Gothic reconstruction project was started but not continued, and
the organ was probably installed in 1756 by Adolph Cappelmann from Geseke. It was rebuilt in 1875 by August Randebrock. A new organ was built in 1936 by Anton Veith using the old pipes. Siegfried Bauer extensively renovated it in 1999. The old bellows were reactivated and new slider chests were installed. Nine stops by Randebrock and Veith were preserved. The side console was renewed and the gallery was lowered to achieve better radiation. The organ was damaged by smoke in 2002 and then repaired.
Car see parking guidance system Bus Bus station Rüthen